LM International is a Swedish development and humanitarian foundation promoting sustainable poverty reduction from a rights perspective. We work primarily in four thematic sectors targeting SDG1 (No Poverty), SDG3 (Health), SDG4 (Education), and SDG6 (WASH).
The Sudan Country Programme’s Khartoum office was opened in 2003 as International Aid Service Sweden and joined LM International following a merge between the two organisations in 2019. As of August 2021, the Sudan Country Office has a staff of 97 based in Khartoum, Red Sea, South Darfur, West Darfur, South Kordofan and Blue Nile states.We are implementing and supporting projects within the water sector focusing on WASH and Integrated Water Resource Management and within the education sector focusing on Inclusive Education and Education in Emergencies working across the humanitarian and development spectrum. Annual turnover is in excess of 5 million USD and there are great opportunities to grow the programme portfolio further to create a greater impact for the people we are working with. Due to an internal promotion, we are now hiring a new Country Director to spearhead our work at the Sudan Country Office.
Our vision is “Dignified Life – Sustainable World” and our mission is “To save lives and empower people”. LM International was founded in 1958 with its origins in the entrepreneurial spirit and the Swedish resource-base. The foundation is based on Christian values. For us, this means that all people are unique and have equal value regardless of belief, gender, ethnicity, or anything else that could be the basis for discrimination.
LM International has partners worldwide, in about 30 countries, the majority of which are in Sub-Saharan Africa. We are represented in both stable and fragile contexts with integrated long-term development programming and humanitarian aid efforts. Our global Head Office is in Stockholm, Sweden, and the organisation employs around 250 employees in 12 regional or country offices around the globe. We work to realise the right to health and the 2030 Agenda. We work in partnership with Sida and SMC and have direct country-partnerships with UN-agencies like UNHCR, UNDP and UNICEF. We have a long-term FPA with EU-ECHO and partner with other international donor and non-governmental organisations. On the ground we engage in close collaboration with local government and civil society actors. We also work in close partnerships with the private sector and innovators in the fields of sustainable infrastructure and integrated water resource management.
Purpose of the Role
The Country Director is expected to provide overall strategic direction, leadership, and oversight to the Sudan Country Program, enabling the execution of the organisation’s vision and mission. The Country Director needs to share LM International’s faith-based values and take an active role in promoting the organisation’s vision and mission in Sudan through word and action.
The Country Director is to be based in Khartoum, Sudan with travels to field operations, as well as regional and international travels. The Country Director will supervise the members of the Senior Management Team in Khartoum currently consisting of a Deputy Country Director in charge of compliance and organisational development, Finance and HR Manager, Programme Manager and Admin Manager. The Country Director reports directly to the Regional Director for the Horn of Africa / Sahel Regional Office and is a part of regular meetings within the region.
Khartoum, Sudan, with travels to field and abroad.
Type of contract
2-year fixed term, with possibility for extension.
Strong verbal and written proficiency in English. An ability in Arabic would be an advantage.
- National co-ordination and stakeholders’ dialogue. Ensure attendance at meetings that will foster and promote strategic relationships and expand the visibility of LM International, such as INGO Forums and Government/UN/donor coordination meetings.
- Strategic Communication and national media relations. To effectively communicate the LM Vision, Mission, Core Values and Programme objectives, both within and outside the Country Office. This includes being the official spokesperson at national level.
- Protocol and external relations. To establish sound, strategic working relationships and cooperative arrangements with Government Authorities, local and international partners, private companies, innovators, community and faith-based actors, and support organisations, and present the programmes and values of the organisation to the public.
- Work closely together with the Senior Management Members to build a strong team that provides healthy leadership to all levels and areas of the organization.
- Provide leadership in designing and developing quality innovative programmes and projects. Make sure that the Country Strategy is regularly updated, monitored, and reported upon.
- Ensure growth, development, and sustainability of the country programme by developing new innovative programme initiatives and securing funds through the preparation and submission of funding applications and proposals to both local and international donors.
- Be responsible for maintaining sound financial plans and budgets. Ensure that the organisation operates within budget guidelines and prepares and submits annual audits and project audits as per donor/government requirements. Ensure that adequate funds are available to permit the organisation to carry out its work.
- Oversee the recruitment, employment, induction, and release of all personnel within the Sudan Country Programme, both paid staff and consultants, as well as trainees. Provide performance coaching and regular staff appraisals for all staff under direct supervision. Create and maintain an environment that attracts, develops, motivates, and retains, a diverse team.
- Ensure that the Regional Director is kept fully informed on the condition of the organisation and all-important factors influencing it by preparing and submitting quarterly reports, as well as updating the country risk assessment and mitigation plans or other reports as required.
Qualifications and Experiences
- Master’s degree or equivalent within any of the areas of development studies, human rights studies, international relations, public administration, and/or in a technical area linked to one of our thematic priorities.
- Ten years of experience working in NGOs/INGOs, with experience in strategic planning as well as program and proposal development including program management. Experience with water and education will be an added advantage.
- Knowledge and experience from applying for and reporting activities financed with institutional funds.
- Strong knowledge and experience of humanitarian principles, standards and infrastructure.
- Experience of living and working within fragile contexts, with experience in Sudan or neighbouring countries an advantage.
- Experience in developing and implementing multi-year programmes in the humanitarian-development nexus.
- Experience of strategic human-right based advocacy at national and regional level.
- Experience of working with local partners, donors, other agencies, and government officials.
- Experience of acting as official spokesperson and to handle national media relations
- A solid experience of leadership.
- Flexibility to adapt to change and work under dynamic conditions in fragile contexts.
- Excellent strategic and analytical ability.
- Excellent command of English (written and spoken).
- Excellent computer skills and experience of digital tools and platforms and working with remote teams.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interview and performance test. All applicants will be notified when the recruitment process is finalised. The position is open both to Sudan nationals and international applicants.
Employment will be subject to a probationary period and review.
How to apply
Please submit your CV and application letter by e-mail to email@example.com no later than the 30th of September 2021 with the subject “Application for Country Director, Sudan”.
For questions with regards to employment conditions and contractual matters please contact Pär Höglund firstname.lastname@example.org For questions concerning the duties and management responsibilities contact Regional Director Paul Hayes email@example.com
In your application letter, please indicate your expected gross salary/month and other expected benefits.
Interviews will be conducted throughout the application period.
Closing Date: 30th of September 2021